9/25/2007

BRAIN FARTS...

Definition of brain fart :.
(brān färt)
1. (n.) Malfunction of the brain on a given thought process, usually occurring during an important situation.
Notes: Also: cranial flatulation, brain cloud, brain cramp
Submitted by: Anonymous, Topics:
Behavior & Lifestyle, Health & Medicine
2. (pron.) When one conveniently forgets something just at the right moment when he or she is asked an important question. In the act of trying not to look stupid as one is they cover it up by indicating that they had a brain fart. Unlike a normal fart, these leave no revolting odor or any clue to their presence.
Example: Bob: "What day of the week is it today, Fred?" Fred: "It's chili day in the cafeteria!" Bob: "No!... I asked what day of the week!" Fred: "Oh, brain fart... It's Friday."
Submitted by: Herman_the_jewish_Dinosaur, Topics:
Behavior & Lifestyle, Health & Medicine

Okay, now that I've spent some time developing background for all of you (in ESL, we now call this "frontloading"), I want to explain;

Yesterday while I was away from my office, assessing Kindergarten students in their classrooms, someone dropped a note off that said, "Looks like we don't have enough people to present to tomorrow, so the workshop is off."
Whew! What a relief. See, as a Trainer for our school district, I frequently have to conduct large group workshops which update our ELL staff on current research-based strategies, assessments, and programs for getting kids on-board with English...

Anyway, while driving into to work this morning, I happened to notice that a colleague had left me a message on my cell phone...so, I found out that we WERE doing the training.
Which leads to my brain fart.
I had to completely shift my thinking for the day and had no time to consider all that entails...

Now, I'm home, I've had a martini, and the brain fart has exploded.
That's it...not a real story...just one day in my life...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brain farts - the idea makes me laugh!!!

Barb said...

Ok.. Now I see why you had the martini!