8/08/2007

I'm So Naive!

My friend, Carnivorous Hippy, also happens to be:
1. the mother of my daughter's boyfriend.
2. my geocaching buddy.
3. my strings teacher.

Yesterday, we drove up to Portland to a very nice shop called David Kerr's Violin Shop to have the bridge on my cello replaced. I had told CH earlier, in front of my husband, that I want a new cello for Christmas. Har! I thought I could get one for around $800. I'm SUCH an idiot!


While we were there, one of the associates set up some cellos for us to test in a sound-proof room. I feel really, really embarassed to play in front of CH, but did a few terrible scales. Once in awhile, she would take my bow and play. I almost cried, it sounded so beautiful.

Anyway, there are no prices on cellos, as the sellers want you to try them out and find what sounds best. Of course, the "best" sounding cellos were in the $20,000-$30,000 range. Yeah, that pretty much solidified my love of my current free cello...
But, of course, dreamers can dream...



We had lunch at Caprial's Bistro! I LOVE that woman and own several of her cookbooks and watch her, and her weird husband, John, produce classic NW cuisine on TV! CH had calamari pasta (with tentatcles!) and I had an open-faced Rueben that was stupendous!

At one point, I drove her up to see The Pittock Mansion at the top of Burnside Street. She'd never seen it before, so I was very pleased. I drove in just like I owned the place! The views of Portland were spectacular!






7 comments:

bundle-o-contradictions said...

I'm still waiting for a violin without a broken post inside...so that I can try to teach myself after 20 years of not playing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vita said...

Hey! You have a spam comment. Icky.

I got to hear Hippy play cello once, and it made me cry, too.

Something is shaking the earth. I must go investigate.

Play that cello every day, Boggy!

BoggyWoggy said...

Yeah, and the SPAM is icky. However, there's a part of me that believes CH had something to do with this. She's bad, you know!

Barb said...

Cellos cost that much??? Holy cow!

If that mansion goes on sale for under $50, please let me know. It's gorgeous!

I have surprise news on my blog!

Unknown said...

That was such a fun day! Don't worry BG, you're not naive... these instruments just cost a whole lotta mulah! My favorite part was running around without a schedule and being able to look at things without being asked if I was ready yet : )
Also... Your spam is spam. I wouldn't do that...icky. But, I like that you would think I would do something bad, thanks!
ch

BoggyWoggy said...

Heh, heh...I deleted the icky comment.