8/28/2007

It's Harvest Time on the Ol' Farmstead!

Last night, I clipped several bunches of the most DELICIOUS grapes I've ever eaten! I planted "intelaken" grapes a few years ago, after tasting my friend's grapes. I just stuck the starts in the ground and crossed my fingers. The first year, I believe I overwatered. I went on line and discovered that grapes like abuse, so this year I've backed way off! Tah-Dah!!! My 2 vines have now produced more than 200 bunches of little green orbs!


According to:









INTERLAKEN
Green seedless. Slightly hardier than Himrod. Medium sized fairly tight clusters. Berries are crisp, sweet and fleshy. Good for eating fresh, excellent for raisins. Early.

Last week I began picking tomatoes. We planted some cool varieties this year, including an Eastern European classic called "Purple Prince." Mine are "purpler" than this web-found photo!


I'm also picking the classic red romas! Yum! They are best when eaten right off the vine, still warm from the sun!A favorite in our house continues to be the little grape tomatoes. I like them so much more than any cherry tomatoes, mostly because they don't SQUIRT you when you take a bite. They also last longer and do well with refrigeration, unlike many other tomatoes!And, last, but not least, I've planted a TON of "Sun Gold" tomatoes. They are so cool! They literally sparkle in the sunlight!Here's what I do with the bulk of the bounty. TRY IT! YOU'LL REALLY, REALLY LIKE IT!

Val's Made-Up Tomato Delicioso!
Take a big batch of firm tomatoes, such as the romas. Carefully rinse and quarter. Pick out your biggest roasting pan. I'm lucky to have inherited my husband's mother's pan (I never met her...she died many, many years ago). Coat the pan liberally with good olive oil. I use Trader Joe's Kalamata oil now. Put all of the quatered tomatoes in the pan. DON'T REMOVE THE PEEL OR SEEDS! Try to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.


Now comes the fun part!

**On top of the tomatoes, pour on some more olive oil, a bunch of sugar, a bunch of salt and pepper, some oregano, thyme, and basil (fresh or dried). Using a big spoon, toss everything so that the tomatoes are well-coated.


**Cover with foil and put in the oven for 1 hour! DO NOT TAKE OFF THE FOIL!!! You want the stuff to steam up well.

**After an hour, remove the pan and toss everything around again. You can add more oil if you want.

**Now, remove the foil and reduce the heat to only 275 degrees. Yes, that's right. Now you are going to slow-roast the concoction! Roast at this temp for 2-3 hours. You can stir occasionally. It will get sticky as the liquid reduces.


**Now, lower the heat again! Get it down to 225!



Roast for several hours and remove. Let it cool.



Cook up some pasta.



Toss it with the sticky "sauce," adding grated parmesan and whatever else you like on your pasta. We like pine nuts and more fresh basil from the garden.



Enjoy!!!

Cook up a whole bunch and freeze for your winter-eating needs!



3 comments:

Vita said...

Wow! Your grapes are ripe? My grapes aren't ripe. My apples aren't ripe, and there are hardly any anyway. Grumble grumble grumble.

Vita said...

You must have air conditioning to go using your oven so much, or else you just like it hot?

Anonymous said...

Well done on the grape harvest. Your tomato dish looks great.
Sara from farmingfriends