8/21/2008

A New-to-Me Type of Cache in the Making

I was reading online tonight, something I do between Olympic Events, and discovered this really cool online geo-magazine. They had some great articles about interesting and "rare" geocaches.
I was particularly taken with one of them...but I won't give out too many details, as I don't want to make it too easy for locals who read this blog to get a free hint!

Basically, one sets out a cache with a rule posted inside...that finders read and follow as they log their find on http://www.geocaching.com/


So, tomorrow, I'll begin designing a cache that mimics what I read about. I'll make a little twist in it, however, cause I'm dumb like that.


I managed to pick up 5 caches today in the rain. I like when Carnivorous Hippy and I manage to discover that the other isn't too busy to get out and snag some finds!
One, in particular, had me stumped for more than 5 previous visits! "Our First Micro," in Corvallis, is one of those caches you groan over, once you find it! Each time I've gone hunting for it, several factors get in the way: it's near a public park, so there are lots of muggles about and it under some pretty big trees, which makes the GPSr bounce all over! However, maybe due to today's rain and heavy cloud cover, I felt I knew right where it'd be as we approached.


The other cache, "Snakes in the Grass," I've looked for 3 times with no luck. Then, I chatted with another cacher a few weeks ago who mentioned "the fort." I'd been in that fort, but not to find the cache, as my GPSr had me on the opposite side of the creek. So, Carnivorous Hippy and I walked to the fort. As I was on my knees, inside, I remembered reading on the logs online that this cache was in a glass jar! CH called our "life-line" buddy, Shawn, and within a few seconds I had the cache in-hand.


I like the way Shawn never gives away too much information. He's good and has a photographic memory. I owe him a 6-pack of Oatmeal Stout. I've GOT to get it to him soon. Pay-day is only 11 days away. I hope he can wait until then!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day of caching. I've started to really like the days where you go out, find 4-5 caches and call it a day. Really kind of fun that way. The big numbers days, anymore, seem like too much work to me!